WE NEED YOU!!
After 5-years of building, growing and managing our beautiful garden, it is time to let the gardens take ownership of the management and administration of the garden. Please take a look at the roles, and if interested either complete the application or send us an email with questions.
Welcome to St Vinnie's Community Garden
Design drawing of garden
The goal for St. Vinnie’s Community Garden was to transform the long-time blighted lot at the corner of Marin & Ohio St.’s (behind Fire Station 21) into a thriving Community Garden that will bring beauty and more community connection to the historic St. Vincent's Hill neighborhood. We believe our goal has been exceeded. The community has a beautiful, thriving garden which is bringing great things to many. We couldn't have done it without the help of so many people and organizations in our wonderful community!
The primary mission of this garden is to produce plots/boxes for the neighborhood gardener as well as;
- Grow & Distribute - fruits & vegetables grown specifically for donation to homeless shelters and other social based organizations. These boxes will be maintained by elementary school classes. We are partnering with Food Rescue to harvest and distribute to local shelters and people in need.
- Partner & Collaborate - work with other gardens, local schools, and any Vallejo community-based venture, sharing the importance of locally available foods and healthy eating.
- Sustain through Education - offer affordable monthly workshops and classes that will educate and inspire while supporting some of the necessary expenditures of the garden.
- Include - 13 ADA accessible boxes (4’ x 8’ x 2')
- How to successfully grow your own fruits & vegetables; seasonal planting
- Recipes for cooking with your home-grown food
- Creating healthier environments by improving soil, water, and wildlife habitat
- Starting a garden in other communities
- The importance of supporting locally grown food and farmers
- Promoting general health and wellness in our Vallejo community